Thursday, August 4, 2016

Spring couple has close call with early delivery

KHOU

An expectant couple in Spring says it had a very close call over the weekend. 

SPRING, TEXAS - An expectant couple in Spring says it had a very close call over the weekend.

Their child was born several weeks early, and they say doctors told them they got to the hospital just in time.

The couple is blaming what happened on bad advice from their doctor's office when the wife started having labor pains.

"I was in agonizing pain," said Niesha Young, whose husband Andrew was at work at the time.

"She had called me and said that the baby hadn't been moving, and I was scared," said Andrew Young, who ran home and they immediately called their OBGYN at Affinity Medical Associates in Tomball.

The couple says they didn't get their exact doctor, but instead the one on call.

"I said, 'This is what's going on,'" Andrew Young explained to the on-call doctor. "My wife has been having cramps in her leg, her back hurts, and now she's in pain from the contractions. (The doctor) said, 'Take the Tylenol, then a hot shower, and go lay down for a few hours and call me back.'"

Andrew and Niesha Young -- who was in tremendous agony -- didn't heed the doctor's advice, but instead came right to Houston Northwest Medical Center.

"My child was born within three hours of us going to the hospital," Niesha Young said. "When we got to the emergency room, and they got me up to labor and delivery, I was already 3 centimeters dilated, so there was no time to waste at all."

Affinity told KHOU on Wednesday it couldn't share information on specific people, but ensured us the health of its patients is their top priority -- a clinic the Youngs say they had no issues with until this weekend.

"I don't want another family to go through what we went through. I don't want them to get some type of advice from a doctor who seems nonchalant, non-caring or incompetent," Andrew Young said.

This isn't Niesha Young's first child. Her son was born 10 years ago without complications, but this time, she says she felt something was very different.

The Youngs tell KHOU they are glad they took no chances by coming to Houston Northwest Medical Center instead of listening to a doctor.

"To be able to go to the hospital and actually see her and place her on my chest, it's great," NIesha Young said.

Tori Ann is still in the neo-natal care unit after she was born prematurely.

Niesha Young says she was not a candidate for early labor nor was she a high-risk pregnancy.

The Youngs are just upset the on-call OBGYN didn't catch those early signs.

The clinic in Tomball also told KHOU their physicians use their medical knowledge to help patients make the best decisions possible.

"I was scared out of my mind," Andrew Young said. "I thought I was going to lose something I really wanted as a part of my life."

Source: (© 2016 KHOU)



No comments:

Post a Comment